Re: GCC Runtime Licensing

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GCC Runtime Licensing
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:31:43 +0100

Indeed I believe this concern has just been addressed:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2009-04/msg00005.html

Thanks for the clarification.

As I read it, this means that the exemption only applies to code compiled with GCC.

I'm not a lawyer, but I got the opposite impression.

It says

"A Compilation Process is "Eligible" if it is done using GCC, alone or with other GPL-compatible software,
or if it is done without using any work based on GCC."

So, for example, compiling using LLVM, which I think uses no work based on GCC, would be "Eligible".
And then the "Grant of Additional Permission" applies.

Considering this comes from the FSF, it sounds like a very open licensing model.

Thanks