RE: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: T.J. Yang
Subject: RE: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:14:47 -0500

> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:24:01 -0400
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> CC:
> Subject: Changes I've been thinking of...
>
> Guys,
>
> There are a number of things which need to change on the project:
>
> We need to:
> 1) improve our website. It's been the same for years and doesn't
> reflect our progress.

For item 1, I like to suggest move the web site over to sourceforge.net.
If advertisement on web page is a concern/annoying, we can use Trac like
software
to host GNUStep site. Trac can even support auto-build feature(bitten).
Check out http://trac.edgewall.org yourself.

> 2) improve GNUstep's default theme as well as theming in general.
> While I know some people will respond negatively to changing the
> default theme from a NeXT-like look to something more modern, I
> believe it's one way for us to spark interest in the project is to
> update it's look. The current look should always be available, but
> not necessarily the default.
> 3) Improve our ability to market ourselves in general.

To me theme is not an important issue, issue is GNUStep community is not as
active as other projects. Apache,Firefox,extjs just to name a few.

Also there is no killer app in GNUStep.

All the software people need is on Windows, GNOME or KDE.

I like to suggest we come up with a killer app to
demonstrate GNUStep's write once run everywhere feature.

If GNUStep have a killer app, people will install GNUStep system on their OS.

Pick a most used software(maybe FireFox ?) and port the source code into objc
language and GNUStep framework.

tj yang, a GNUStep lurker