Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:41:27 +0200

Hey,

I mean for for "some period of time". I gives me some freedom to brake things without bothering people. One of the reason that drove me to idea of forking gui+back is when I'm developing Project Center I need to fix some things after GNUstep svn update. I need some stable basement for PC development. I tired fix things that was not broken before.

To achieve what you want, ou can jsut install the latest release instead of tracking SVN trunk for svn. Since I have several computers, I arrange to have one with stable release and one with the latest stuff.
Actually some of the ideas are:
- remove old/unused code from 'back' (xdps, xlib);
xlib is far from unused, so leave it in.
xdps can indeed be removed, since the X11 extension never worked... I read that it was removed, but it is still there. But inany case Fred should look at that and do things correctly not to break anything.
- move general code 'back' to 'gui' (gsc if I remember correctly);
Discuss that with Fred, which is the maintainer.
- finish font, image, drawing, events in GUI and ART backend (blurred lines, text positioning, focus issues with WindowMaker, start of first app in session, handling of X server events, text selection etc.).

I give you 100% reason here. Things should work well and reliable on WindowMaker, so that you have a reference implementation.
These are the basic things that MUST work correctly. Until then developing applications for GNUstep is a pain in back (fix things that was not broken before). I intentionally focus on UNIX, X11 and ART backend. I want at least one combination of components to work best of all (reference platform). I understand that other people has different tastes but spreading efforts never lead us to success.

Understandable.

Riccardo