Re: Google Summer of Code 2011

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:22:20 +0100

I would suggest that we go directly for the GNU solution. It seems like
Google prefers to have big organisations taking part. Maybe this makes
the management easier for Google, I don't know.

But as you wrote, it is more important whether we have contributors
interested. Last year was a full success as both GSOC student came from
the bigger GNUstep community.

And yes, I would mentor again. It really uses up some time, but I did
learn a lot last year.

Fred

Am 01.02.2011 13:38, schrieb David Chisnall:
> Is it worth submitting our own application this year?  We could try
> another GNUstep Ecosystem one, and try to sneak into the GNU one for
> GNUstep if it fails.
>
> More importantly, do we have any student developers who are
> interested?  In the past, we've had a lot of success from existing
> developers who have been able to fund themselves over the summer to
> work full time on GNUstep, but much less success from people trying
> to make their first contributions as part of the GSoC.
>
> I'd be happy to mentor again, and we can draft a proposal at FOSDEM
> if there are interested students...
>
> David
>
> On 31 Jan 2011, at 08:33, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
>
>> The website for the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is up:
>> http://www.google-melange.com/
>>
>> The timeline is here:
>> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

the first important date for our project is February 28 19:00 UTC, when
the mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.