Re: Heads Up: ABI Change

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Heads Up: ABI Change
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:20:15 +0000

On 10 Feb 2011, at 14:14, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> Hmm, I guess I should mentioned I messed around with the NSDateFormatter and
> NSNumberFormatter ivars, as well.  In order to support OS X 10.4+ methods I
> had to add about 4-5 extra ivars to each of those classes.  Seeing as I did
> this a few weeks back and haven't heard any complaints, I assume it's all
> good.

If there are new ivars, we need to bump the library version, which is a pain
for packagers (upgrade GNUstep, upgrade all apps compiled against GNUstep), so
it's better if we can avoid this.

Is it possible to have a private subclass or something similar?

> NSCalendar does not have the padding ivar, do we want to add that in at some
> point before the next release?

Yes, probably a good idea.

I'm not sure what we do with the library version for the non-fragile ABI.  We
should only be incrementing it when we remove / change C symbols, not class
layouts, but I don't think -make has proper support for this yet.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11