Re: [ANN][WIP] Library & app for 3D visualization system

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: [ANN][WIP] Library & app for 3D visualization system
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:00:46 +0700

Hi,
Some updates on the current details implementations in 3SUM
application project. Now it's only about AP3, the AppKit inspired, a
forked and rewritten of GNU 3D Kit, 3D engine.

latest list of changes
* Now depending on clang for Objective-C++, would be nice if someone
can help me making it work with GCC, which could be either using GCC's
Objective-C++ or writing a C struct front, to allow .m to include .h.
Now all files must be mm.
* Changing AX prefix to AA, I planned to keep AX for binary stream
APIs. Binary stream in AP3 are like an array of float or double, using
stride to divide them into blocks. It isn't a priority for AP3 as it's
mostly for modeling works which is a part of 3SUM.
* The current code based is quite clean and well tested.
AAAffineTransform, which is 3D internally, has similar interface to
NSAffineTransform and should pass its tests. Some test sets for 3D
transformations would be very welcome.

What are next?
* Getting camera to work in 3D to NSView conversions.
* Start working on controllers. Controllers are a collection of
NSControl and its 3D counterpart AAControl that can be used to
manipulate scene graph data model. I'd start with some NSView based
for testing then I will move on the shader part before getting back to
make 3D controls.
* Shader, like GNUstep's rendering back-ends. The current focus is to
use GL view for real time and Aqsis for real rendering. 3D objects are
responsible to maintain shading infos for each backend. Shader will
have front-end to collect shader languages in sets. eg. a set could
contain a delegate to rendering code either for multiple versions of
OpenGL code blocks, or NSGraphicsContext or a renderman shader
strings,
* Raster, will start working on this once we have texture.
* Symbol systems, so you can refer to objects by name, or have
something like $X in text field to refer to some shared values.
* One day I may want to use this 2D display, NSView based code to make
a general 2D vector application but with powerful perspective engine
and constructional history or helping implementing a CAD application.
Just that I really have had some good experiences editing bezier path
in Blender.

AP3 site : https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mus3/index.php?title=AP3

Screenshot of TAP3, a test app for AP3,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mJ-3D7c29_4/TbZziHtefrI/AAAAAAAAA6s/n9WCEh0Cm-U/s1600/2dview.png

I blogged a bit on this
http://qstx.blogspot.com/2011/04/3d-coordinates-testing-over-nsview.html

Now I think the project just reaches the state that I can say that
contributors are welcome.
Thanks,

--
    .----.     Banlu Kemiyatorn