Re: cairo x11 surfaces

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: cairo x11 surfaces
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:42:05 +0200

Hi
If we run in to problems we can switch back to XGCairoXImageSurface before the
next release, but it looks promising. In particular, I tried X forwarding to
Apple's X11.app, which only supports 24-bit windows, and the new surface is
significantly faster than XGCairoXImageSurface, and the alpha channel of images
is correctly preserved (unlike XGCairoSurface).

Riccardo, this should fix GNUstep on the 16-bit display configuration where it
wasn't working for you. If you could test it some time and let me know if it
works, that would be great.
Right. Exporting do 16-bit displays seems to work quite well. I did not try locally on 16bit yet. I built it on PPC, exported to X11 16-bit, seems to work fine. It works fine locally in 24bit on x86... I did only quick tests. Some operations seem to have become faster. I think definitvely exporting display is better as Philippe reported.

Window resizing is definitively slow and flickery, also locally.

Riccardo