Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:48:40 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2011, at 11:38, David Chisnall wrote:
>
>> This flag also isn't recognised by clang.  What does GCC 4.x need it for?
>
> The -fexec-charset=UTF-8 tells the compiler to encode string literals as
> UTF-8 in the binary.  This allows developers to put any character they like
> in a string literal and have GNUstep get things right at runtime because base
> knows the compiler will have encoded all literals as UTF-8

The gcc man page says
     -fexec-charset=charset
           Set the execution character set, used for string and character
           constants.  The default is UTF-8.  charset can be any encoding
           supported by the system's "iconv" library routine.
Given that UTF-8 is the default, I see no point in specifying this flag (other
than to force people to finally switch gcc 4.x of course :-)

Wolfgang