Re: Using XCTOOL

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: Using XCTOOL
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 06:04:16 +0800

I am thinking rewriting buildtool using CoreFoundation API to break dependency
on gnustep-make and gnustep-base.

I am thinking creating forks of base, libobjc2 and corebase projects and
rearrange some code, to resolve some compatibility issues and modernise code to
take as many advantage as possible of ARC, as well as drop some old obsolete
features like GC. During which I think I will drop the make package as it is
under documented and confusing to me, as well as not being as helpful as Xcode
project files (try file-specific build options, like -fobjc-arc when building
everything but container types in base.) This means the new base will have to
be built using xcodebuild-ng (the CF port of buildtool) or we will have a
chicken-or-egg problem.

The new build procedure would be libobjc2 (Blocks runtime probably will be
either dropped in favour of libBlocksRuntime, or separated into a
libBlocksRuntime replacement, optionally depend on libllvm), CoreBase (depend
on libobjc2, libBlocksRuntime and libdispatch), xcodebuild-ng (depend on
CoreBase), and finally Base (depend on CoreBase, built using xcodebuild-ng)

I am investigating how DPRK packaged their Linux apps into Apple-styled
bundles, and if there is any knowledge I can lift, it will be applied in
xcodebuild-ng.