Re: CoreBase: necessary additions for WebKit

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: CoreBase: necessary additions for WebKit
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 10:19:55 +0100

> On 2 Jul 2017, at 10:07, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 1 Jul 2017, at 22:51, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream) <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> This would require rewriting a good part of CFRunLoop, but it seems
>> more approachable than expecting Base's NSRunLoop to depend on
>> libdispatch.
>
> Note that an increasing amount of Cocoa code depends on at least the main
> runloop having a libdispatch queue, and libdispatch runs on all
> GNUstep-supported platforms (including Windows - there are multiple ports,
> and Microsoft maintains one, though I also talked to that team a few months
> ago about reimplementing the libdispatch APIs on top of the Windows
> concurrency primitives).

While, for many years, GNUstep has had a policy of minimising external
dependencies (because a common complaint was that it was difficult to install,
and we wanted to minimise instrallation problems), I really don't like sending
time working on or maintaining code when someons else is doing it and we can
leverage their work.

In that spirit, I'm very much in favour of using libdispatch where it's
available and as efficient as (or better than) existing code. Of course using
it without breaking existing code may be a challenge...  In particular I worry
about breakage on windows since libdispatch, like the I/O and event APIs in
Foundation, was not designed with portability to windows in mind.  It's good to
hear that windows ports exist.