Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 07:13:23 +0000 (UTC)

В Mon, 01 Jan 2018 23:07:11 +0000, Ivan Vučica написа:

> Cutting no-changes releases of back is not fun. Do we need to do it?
> Will -gui reject -back with mismatching minor version?

Debian's current packaging requires full match between the GUI/Back
versions, but that's easy to change (I think).  We made it that way
very long time ago because we were told [1] that there were always
going to be releases in sync as it's basically the same thing.  We
were told it was a good thing -gui to depend on the very same version
of -back in order to eliminate eventual incompatibilities.

I just changed back's Info-gnustep.plist on my system, bumping all
four version-related keys, and there was no problem.  Starting apps
with --GNU-Debug=BackendBundle confirms the bundle is found, and as
far as I can see from the code in NSApplication.m there doesn't seem
to be a minor version check.

[1] I don't remember who exactly, but was a prominent GNUstep core
    developer -- Richard, Fred, Gregory or Adam.