Re: strange issue with Mutable Dictionary

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: strange issue with Mutable Dictionary
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:08:28 +0100

Hi,

thanks for your efforts.
Unfortunately they give me no real clue to ehere the problem is.
I cleaned up the init methods and the Flags seem to me properly allocated and release. So I guess something goes wrong on the whole message or some issue reading the cache file (maybe corrupted).

Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Hi,

so just updated pantomime and gnumail to latest svn. Otherwise have packages
installed,
latest releases of all gnustep. I'm on OpenBSD amd64, 6.3, everything built
with clang.

Now entering my inbox I get:

read_unsinged_int: EOF
read_unsinged_int: EOF
read_unsinged_int: EOF

This, which you get at the second attempt to, is not something good. It means that reading certain values from the file, 0 bytes gets read, which is interpreted as EOF according to the manpages.

It would be good to know if it is always the same message or not.
I enhanced the read APIs to return an error result and write the value in a variable passed by-reference.
Perhaps this canĀ  help us narrowing down the issue.

Although GNUMail is not perfect, I can use IMAP on several different setups: Mac, GNUstep, 32bit and 64bit. So it is not "so bad". I remember having a computer where sometimes the Cachefiles become immense (months ago, maybe that issue was fixed and y ou have old cache files, I don't know)

First, I would ask you to update and retry.
If we are lucky, we will get more Debug output, e.g. a message number out of the expected ones present in the Folder. If that happens, please try again and see if it is always the same message. Maybe it has issues or it is corrupted.

Also, let's do a sanity check: cache files contain only headers, so they should be fairly small.
you will find them in GNUstep/LIbrary/GNUMail
IMAPCache_*

to give a ballpark: my Trash has 9900 messages and has a 3.7M file big and other folders are proportinal to them Please check your sizes and tell us the message count (e.g. by using another Mail Agent). Due to the size being encoded in a 32bit er may have either a 4GB or 2GB because sometimes a signed representation is used. This should give us space for about 500.000 messages per folder.

If you think they are corrupt, do not remove them yet (they will regenerate) I still hope the code can be cleaned to fail more gracefully or at least return a more significant message than EOF!

Thank you,
Riccardo