Re: How do I build one test?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: How do I build one test?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 17:00:35 +0000

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 15:38, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am fighting with the GNUstep test suite again.  I have one test failing to
> build, but I can’t get the build command so that I can debug the failure
> properly.  If I do gnustep-tests --verbose test/name then it tells me that it
> is running 'gmake debug=yes name', but when I try that in the source
> directory it complains that it can’t find Testing.h.  How do I get it to run
> gmake messages=yes so that I can reproduce and debug the failure?

When the compiler /linker errors recorded in the log file are not enough to
easily tell why something failed to build, 'messages=yes' is quite useful.

You would normally type 'make messages=yes' for a testcase just as you would
with any other program, so the fact that you apparently can't do that indicates
that you are running in a non-standard environment.
The gnustep-tests script is apparently successfully setting up the environment
in which to build the testcase, so it's not clear why working directly from the
command line didn't succeed as well.
Possibly you forgot to source GNUstep.sh to set up your environment.

If you want to pass messages=yes to the make invocation without setting up your
GNUstep environment, you could simply pass it to the gnustep-tests script as in
the following commend:

messages=yes gnustep-tests mytest.m

In any case, gnustep-tests is a fairly small shell script ...  if really stuck
you could just hack a copy of it to add the 'messages=yes'