Re: gnustep-back without freetype

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gnustep-back without freetype
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:02:19 +0100

Hoi Fred,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
as far as I am aware the cairo backend won’t build without freetype. So most
likely you are building the xlib or the art backend. And if you do, you really
should state this. These backends are deprecated. If you get them to work on
your machine, fine. If you don’t, I won’t be able to help you. And nobody else
will, as long as you don’t write what is happening when you try to use this
specific setup:-(

yes absolutely, this is xlib, the most portable backend we have, very useful
I think it was my fault, after updating all our flags, it has become more sensitive. It actually picked up a too-old version of something. I tried again from zero and without-freetype and it correctly skipped the test and everything built fine.

I was happily running Ink.app on GNUstep on Solaris and SPARC v9 (Netra T1 1U Server) :) In case somebody wants to write Server applications and have a GNUstep gui to manage them... we are ready :) Later on I also was able to compile and start GNUMail! I did not test it it much because it did not connect, but I will investigate. It was already nice to see it coming up.

Happens that I always use your app as a test...

Thanks,
Riccardo