Re: JS engine(s) provided by gnustep

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: JS engine(s) provided by gnustep
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 10:26:12 +0100

Hi Riccardo,

SimpleWebKit has its own JS interpreter (ECMA-Script)...

The main missing thing is how to manipulate the DOM tree objects and provide them to the JS language so that
a script can really modify what is being displayed.

And it has not been significantly tested and may be incomplete (haven't used it for years).

So to me it seems easier to fix issues than squeeze in a probably incompatible library API.

Well, there is another thing to be considered:
SWK is a WebKit including the WebDOMOperations and WebScriptObjects for JS.

I have never checked what the newer WKWebView has changed. It could be a completely new architecture.
So we might need a SWKWebView...

And finally there is now a _javascript_Core framework.

So Apple seems to duplicate already existing functionality in multiple frameworks and it is not clear
if they are related or build on top of each other.

BR,
Nikolaus