gnustep-webmasters

Re: Retemplater

From: Scott Stevenson
Subject: Re: Retemplater
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:05:28 -0800

On Dec 17, 2003, at 6:17 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

OK, I'll base a new template on that, although I don't see huge differences.

It's subtle. The main difference is that each paragraph/topic is separated by a horizontal line on the home page. This is isn't done on the secondary page since most other pages will usually center around a single topic. On the home page, the lines help to visually separate the major topic areas.

I meant to ask: Why is it secondary.html instead of information/aboutGNUstep.html?

It's just a template for the secondary pages that happens to have the "about" content.

 Why do we only have h3, no h1 or h2?

No particular reason other than it was just a design decision. I don't think you necessarily have to use multiple header sizes, although sometimes they help. Really big text can actually be harder to read, depending on the length of the header.

I think the current template focuses attention on the first header in a more elegant way than just making bigger text. But that's just my personal take.

I updated the css file to set a white background colour, as I think that's what was meant.

Ah, yes. Thank you.

I also plan to change the listboxes into links to another page, probably resources/relatedsites.html or similar. Using listboxes would suggest javascript (accessibility no-no without an alternative) or a CGI and is it worth the effort over a links page?

I'll leave this decision to the group. The main goal there was to prevent overloading the visitor with non-essentials right off the bat -- makes them more likely to miss the bigger message. The dropdowns were just my solution. Sort of a compromise. I would think a tiny little PHP (or whatever) script might do the job nicely. It could just be as simple as:

        $page = $_POST['linkdropdown'];
        $server = "http://www.gnustep.com";;
        header("Location: " . $server . "/" . $page . ".html");

There's really no need to even scan the content of the form value. Or we could just do a separate links pages as you suggest.

    - Scott

--
Tree House Ideas
http://treehouseideas.com/