Re: [Gomp-discuss] A Simple PThread Example of OpenMP

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] A Simple PThread Example of OpenMP
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:28:48 +0200

Hi Scott - Thanks for the example. It is a nice start for a "proof of
concept". The point is now what we should do? Essentially, in my mind the
alternatives are:
a) transform s2s
b) act on trees and make the omp example look like the pthread generated one

To my mind, the second should be easier, but I have the problem that I don't
know very well gcc trees. The problems I see concern propagation of the
variables: when we transform the code (whatever that will mean in the end) we
will have to take the code between braces following a pragma and change it
into a function, which should know the type of the different variables (being
an independent function). Is there an easy way of getting that from the
symbol table? Also, how do we modify the symbol table in such a way that we
can allocate copies of the private variables for each thread?

Question for the middle-ender: we have said several times that the same
optimisation procedures that work for serial code do not work for parallel
code. Now, what does the gcc middle-end currently do with pthreaded programs?
Just skip optimisation?

Cheers
Biagio

Biagio Lucini