Re: [Gomp-discuss] OpenMP 3.0 Documents?

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] OpenMP 3.0 Documents?
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:56:52 +0100

 I think we'll be safe as long as we make the 'middle end' , ( by this I mean
tree-ssa extensions, ( yes GENERIC too ) ), the backend ( the lib ) as generic
as we can, in other words keep them simple and only add the minimum set
required to handle the task at hand. The more we make them specific the harder
everything will get in the future, ( i.e. if someone else want's to add HPF or
something similar ).
 A lot of the hard part must be to reduce the complex task into a minimal
functionality that is required, something must already be done in this context,
so I will google a bit for it.

 The part that we absolutely must get right is the representation of
parallellism in tree-ssa, ( it must be independent of the frontend used ). Thus
all the semantics and I must admit a big deal of the complexities are moved
into the frontends.

 Is this correct thinking or plain dumb ?

 / Lars Segerlund.