gotmail-list

[gotmail] Gotmail slow breakage

From: paul cannon
Subject: [gotmail] Gotmail slow breakage
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:12:33 -0700

You've probably noticed by now, but gotmail 0.7.7 is occasionally
dying on changing Hotmail servers. Sometimes it's getting redirected to
a "http://ld.cb.msn.com?rru=%2fcgi%2dbin%2fhmhome&reason=nocookies";,
which obviously isn't where we want to be, and the operation fails.

Sometimes the failure is a simple "Could not isolate folder index
location."

*Most* of the time, gotmail is still working, so if you've got a gotmail
cron job, don't worry too much about this problem. However, in the past,
problems like this implied that Hotmail was slowly switching its servers
over to some new code, and eventually, all the old ones would be gone
and gotmail would _always_ fail.

I expect around 1 more month of passable usage without any fixes.

When things get worse, I'll take a look at it. But if anyone's got the
time to poke through the /tmp/gotmail_log output and the code to find
the solution, it would help.

--
  _  _ . .|  _ _ ._ ._  _ ._  address@hidden
 |_)(_||_|| (_(_|| || |(_)| | http://ssl.usu.edu/paul/