gotmail-list

Re: [gotmail] Re: New Gotmail

From: paul cannon
Subject: Re: [gotmail] Re: New Gotmail
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:13:17 -0700

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:47:59PM -0000, Ben Staniford wrote:
> I'm told Outlook uses a separate http service to hotmail that hasn't
> changed.  It might be worth gotmail using this too?  Although I'm not
> volunteering to do the work ;-)

What you're looking for is 'hotway', also called 'hotwayd' [1]. It uses
the Hotmail WebDAV interface, and sort of translates it to a POP3
interface, so that fetchmail, kmail, and all other POP3 clients can read
Hotmail directly.

I'm peripherally involved in that project as well, and I can tell you
that is does a good job. It has some disadvantages, though; using the
WebDAV interface means less information about the message is available
(even only getting new messages is difficult) and it's still subject to
breakage by Hotmail. It doesn't have to be tweaked as often as Gotmail,
but it happens.

To summarize, I'd say Gotmail does more and and does it just as well
when it's working, but Hotway will probably fail less.

[1] http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/

| paul cannon                                 address@hidden |
|                             http://people.debian.org/~pik/ |