gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [RFC] Add support for Airmar PB200 Weather station

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [RFC] Add support for Airmar PB200 Weather station
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:10:25 +0200

Hello,

-----Original Message-----
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 15:40:39 +0200
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [RFC] Add support for Airmar PB200 Weather
station
From: Ed W <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On 21/04/2012 23:47, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am working on nmea2000 support for gpsd since last autumn.
>
> I hope, i have a very early test version ready, but i have access only
> to a Garmin GPS, AIS and chartplotter.
>
> Do you have a CAN interface supported by linux socket-can?

Would you be interested in being sponsored with an Actisys NG1 usb
interface to enhance support?  It's basically a reasonably inexpensive
NMEA2K certified interface with linux support (I believe) - I think for
many users it might represent the most obvious interface hardware to
use?  I believe the interface runs at a much higher level than kernel
CAN though?

My first aproach to support nmea2k for gpsd was a daemon, that read the
CAN messages, and feed nmea183 messages to gpsd via a pty. Based on this
software, i have build a small hardware, based on an OLIMEX LPC-2478STK
board, an own expansion board board for a galvanic isolated CAN
interface, and a SEATALK interface around a FreeRTOS kernel, that feed
NMEA2000 messages, SEATALK messages and input from a GPS receiver to USB
or ethernet as NMEA183 messages. It can also bridge some SEATALK
messages to CAN.

For the gpsd project, i will focus on CAN interfaces with socket CAN
support first.

My first approach use an abstraction layer for CAN, so i support socket
CAN, the esd CAN API, and an
 "embedded" API for for the LPC2xxx processors, but i do no have the
time to do this this summer for gpsd.

Kind regards

Ed W

Reinhard