gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPS week wraparound

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPS week wraparound
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:50:52 -0700

address@hidden said:
> Notice that the leap second insertion occurs only the last minute of the UTC
> month, with preference for end of each half year. You can do a hold-down the
> last 15 min of each month where new devices is not trusted.

Are on a wild goose chase?  Let me try again.

The leap second offset is in the almanac.  It takes 15 minutes to download a
new almanac.  You have to have an almanac before you can get a sensible
solution, but old almanacs are good enough.

In this context, old means hours or days.  The leap offset gets updated
months before the leap happens, so an old almanac is good enough and we won't
have a problem.

Does a GPS receiver need an almanac to receive and decode a signal?  Can it
work with a partial almanac?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.