gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] The attempt to use VTIME has been removed

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] The attempt to use VTIME has been removed
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 01:08:20 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
> Do you have a pointer to the bugtracker entry for the select bug?  I am
> curious if this is really well understood to be a bug in select, or if
> could be something gpsd is going.  And, I wonder if there is a test
> program to reproduce.  All hints so far indicate this being a Linux-only
> issue, but that also so far seems like an unwarranted assumption.

Nobody ever reported it on the bugtracker.  What I know is that

(1) It reproduces on the Raspberry Pi - I had a long session with a Pi
developer
on #gpsd during which we discussed the problem, invented the original adaptive-
delay patch. and verified that it worked on the Pi.

(2) Similar behavior was reported from a couple of specific models of
Android phone, one of which was the Samsung Galaxy III.

That it's a bug in select(2) is not confirmed, but I've run across racy selects
before, notably in a buggy PL2303 driver on the Mac.