gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Port to QNX: PPS without SHM?

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Port to QNX: PPS without SHM?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:26:40 -0800

> But QNX does support POSIX shared memory:
> Would it help if gpsd supported POSIX?

If we go make any non-trivial changes in the shared memory area, we should
switch to the new scheme that lets the client side be read only.  I don't
know the name, but it works like this:

Writer:
  Bump X
  update stuff
  Bump Y

Reader:
  Grab Y
  grab stuff
  Grab X
if X == Y, good.  Else try again.

The critical idea is that the reader and writer use X and Y in the opposite
order.

It needs memory barriers.

Being read only allows multiple clients.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.