gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘NMEA_MAX

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘NMEA_MAX
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 16:20:23 -0700

Yo Chris!

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 16:10:29 -0700
Chris Kuethe <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://www.trimble.com/OEM_ReceiverHelp/V4.44/en/NMEA-0183messages_GGA.html
>  admits that their sentence exceeds the maximum length, so there is a
> maximum and vendors violate it.

And I found that documented in gpsd.h-tail.

> http://www.visualgps.net/whitepapers/nmeaparser/nmeaparserdesign.html
> says "the maximum number of characters shall be 82"... and they sound
> like they've actually seen the standard.

And I found that documented in gpsd.h-tail.

So I prolly shoulda dug bit deeper in the gpsd code first.  But confirmation
is also good.

> The 86 comes from me, back in SVN r4303. I, too, have one of those
> standards-violating receivers. I think it's safe to increase the limit
> since there is a fairly robust structure detector.

I'll bump it up to 102 for now.  If something bad shakes out I'll
have to do more specific length checking.

Thanks for the confirmations.  Patches in progress.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588