gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘GPSD_API

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘GPSD_API
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:58:21 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 04:00:31 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I also have some other changes that likely need to go in gpsdata_t.
> > For example, there are two distinct types of satellites_used and
> > satellites_visible.  One type is the number reported by the GPS and
> > the other is a could of sats seen so far in sucessive GPGSA dn
> > GPGSV.  But gpsdata_t has place for only one type and they keep
> > over-wrting each other...
>
> Fixing that will be not just incompatible but a significant design
> change that we need to discuss carefully.

Well, let the discussion begin.  My short term fix was to just stop NMEA
from over-writing the _used and _visible with direct GPS data, and fill
them in when the GSA/GSV where done.  That was last week, no complaints
yet.  Skyview working MUCH better.

I have been digging into the change, and found that _used and _visible
are not even used by the gpsd clients!  Instead those numbers are
recreated in the json client by counting up objects in the sats array.

I like that strategy, you know the actual counts will always match
the totals.  Carrying core data, and derived data, often leads to
discrepancies.

I'm not done with digging in all the corners, so please tell me if I
missed anything.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588