gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Detecting Raspberry Pi Hat & PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Detecting Raspberry Pi Hat & PPS
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 12:51:35 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Fri, 6 May 2016 15:40:46 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > You ALWAYS need the -n.  I have complained to Eric about this for
> > years.
> >
> > gpsd does nothing without -n, until a client connects, but with a
> > time server you do not expect to see a client.  This is by (flawed)
> > design.
> >
> > I'll not go into the bad data that led to this bad decision.
>
> It's a consequence of our original use case, hotplugged devices on
> laptops. We wanted to save power by only opening devices as needed.

Except we found out it does not ever save any power...

To save power gpsd would need to cooperate with kernel sleep modes.

Android does this.

> I guess at this point I'd be willing to change the config so that if
> socket_export us disabled (e.g. there are no client sessions) nowait
> is forced on.

I'm not sure how socket_export fits in here.

Or maybe if any PPS is suspected?  Or a chronyd socket is found?  Or
ntpd is running?

> Gary, would that address your complaints?

Anything that reduces the frequency of people wondering why they got not
ntpd time because they forgot -n.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588