gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 20:40:03 -0400

On May 9, 2016, at 8:36 PM, Oliver Jowett <address@hidden> wrote:

conffiles can be provided as part of the package, there are just different rules for what happens to them on an upgrade or package removal to avoid clobbering user changes.

"The /etc/init.d scripts must be treated as configuration files [...] This is important since we want to give the local system administrator the chance to adapt the scripts to the local system, e.g., to disable a service without de-installing the package, or to specify some special command line options when starting a service, while making sure their changes aren't lost during the next package upgrade.”

Thanks - I now understand Debian better.  However, that it different from my experience with Gentoo.  Init scripts are a part of the package and generally are not expected to be modified.  The config files are a part of the package, but belong to the user and will not be touched or removed.  In Gentoo, if you remove a package, the init scripts go with it & the config files are left untouched.

Thanks,
Frank