gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Wjy does gpsd need root

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Wjy does gpsd need root
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 23:48:53 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 23 May 2016 21:41:50 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden said:
> > Since gpsd is supposed to run as root I never saw the point in
> > testing as a user.
>
> I've been running scons check as non-root for years.  It never
> occurred to me to run it as root.
>
> So now I'm curious.  Why does gpsd need root?  It's actually running
> as "nobody".

It runs as noboddy, but it starts as root.  gpsd needs root to
attach to the SHM(0) and SHM(1) interfaces, as well as to do some
things like open the GPS tty and /dev/ppsX.

No way around the SHM(0) and SHM(1) restriction, but you can avoid the
others with skill full permission settings.

> The only things I can think of are permissions to open TTYs and
> such.  That doesn't need root, just appropriate permission.  Are
> there any reasons that it really needs root?

Yes, for SHM(0) and SHM(1).  Otherwise there is no safe and working
way to pass time to ntpd.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588