gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsmon flickering when using ntrip and serial gps in gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsmon flickering when using ntrip and serial gps in gpsd
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 00:11:00 -0700

Yo Max!

On Wed, 25 May 2016 08:46:51 +0200
Max Schulze <address@hidden> wrote:

> when using a gps attached over serial and a ntrip source for
> correctional data, gpsmon shows roughly half a second the actual
> position information, etc. and then it shows only the field names, not
> the values.

gpsmon is intended as a debugging tool, not for end user use.  So the
values are only displayed during as they arrive, without persistence, so
you can see the sentence flow.

Try cgps or xgps which are intended as user tools.

Even they flicker a bit, as information in each cycle does not all
arrive at the top of the cycle and we do not want to ever show any stale
data.

> I guess this is because it cannot display the messages from the ntrip
> (which it is only relaying to the gps over serial), and they are
> "disturbing".

ntrip is unrelated here.

A cool project would be for someone to make a nice modern display for
gpsd data.  Any one want to try?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588