gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Savannah access problem solved

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Savannah access problem solved
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 16:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> This will force ssh to ship your RSA key to Savannah and its git host box.
>
> You will probably find you need to re-clone the repo before you can push to
> it.

Really?  Why?  How does a temporary SSH problem invalidate the local repo?
Just curious; I don't have commit access, anyway. :-)

I've never found it necessary to re-clone a repo even in the presence of
rewritten history.  The worst case was when the RTKLIB guy decided he
needed to rewrite the entire repo history for some reason relating to
binary files.  Fetching still worked, but nothing was mergeable.  With no
local changes, I just did a "git reset --hard xxx" on each branch to point
it at the proper new commit ID, and then force-pushed it to my fork.
Then a "git gc" to clean up the orphans.

Fred Wright