gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] [RFC] python client patch - reconnect to gpsd

From: teyrana
Subject: [gpsd-dev] [RFC] python client patch - reconnect to gpsd
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 22:49:17 +0000

Hey Gary,

I've cleaned up the patch a fair bit:
1. gps.next()  now raises 'StopIteration' on any error
2. gps/watch_options.py contains only the WATCH_* options

Let me know what you think.
-DMW

Daniel Williams
address@hidden
858-220-8134 (Mobile)
github.com/teyrana
LinkedIn

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 7:49 PM, teyrana <address@hidden> wrote:
Okay; I'll implement the changes on monday, and resubmit.

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 7:18 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo teyrana!

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 18:56:43 -0500
teyrana <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > But if the community has concerns, I could have the library raise
> > > an error on failure-to-connect, or just have a 'gps.is_connected'
> > > property to check. Thoughts?
> > I do not think it is an Error, certainly a warning.
>

> Well, was asking in the literal sense: what should gps.next()
> return?  The options seem to be:
> 1. On connection failure:
>     `raise StopIteration`
> 2.  On success:
>    2.a. `return self.data`
>    2.b. `return self.response`
> 3. On failure:
>    `self.data or self.response` ... but their (len == 0)

Ah, got you.  Personnaly, I prefer error codes, exceptions are just a
devious way to so the same thing in a confusing manner.  But it is
pythonic, so I can't really object.

Looks good to me.  Try and see if it actually works.

> If we want to preserve backwards compatibility, these return types
> would have to behave the same.

Well, the 3.18 ABI is already changed, so I'd not worry about back
compatibility too much.

> So, I'm trying to think of another option, but the only choices I can
> see are either (#1) raise the exception on fail-to-connect,
> or return a zero-length response.

Or return an error code.  Zero length response is too easy to confuse,
so return an error code or an exception.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588