gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Unable to display GPS time for in either xgps or cgps clien

From: Skillman, Brad
Subject: [gpsd-users] Unable to display GPS time for in either xgps or cgps clients
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:46:19 -0400

Hi,

I’m new to using gpsd and I have run into a problem where I don’t seem to be able to see the time from our GPS unit displayed on a client.

I’m currently using a Garmin GPSmap 76S unit in the GPS Simulator mode.  When using this unit with the xgps or cgps clients, most of the fields appear correct (e.g. lat., long. alt., fix, etc.) but the “time” field always shows up as “n/a”.  Also, when I use the “gpspipe –r” command I can see the NMEA “$GPGLL” message is being sent with the correct GPS time.

Is there something in either of the clients, or the starting up gpsd, that would prevent the time data in $GPGLL from being parsed out?  Is there another message that is parsed out for displaying the GPS time information?  Or perhaps my GPS simulator doesn’t currently produce the NMEA message required by xgps / cgps to display the time information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Brad S.