gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Help with extracting time information from GPS to NTPD

From: Jordan
Subject: [gpsd-users] Help with extracting time information from GPS to NTPD
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 02:21:32 -0800

I just purchased a Haicom HI-206-USB GPS device looking to extract time information from GPSD and pass it to NTPD to get an accurate system clock. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I believe the GPS is working because I can run xgps and see the satellites/time info/location/etc.

However I can't quite figure out how to get ntpd to pull the information from gpsd. I've modified my /etc/ntp.conf to:

Code:
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.28.0 refid GPS

restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 10.1.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
where 127.127.28.0 is supposed to be the IP to access the GPS information. I can ping that IP successfully. However when I try to access the server using ntpq -p, it says 'No association ID's returned'.

If I stop NTPD and run 'ntpdate 127.127.28.0' it says there were no suitable synchronization servers found.

NTPD works fine if I point it to a public time server.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I've run out of ideas.

Thanks