gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Disabling hotplugging and manually connecting to device

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Disabling hotplugging and manually connecting to device
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:57:44 -0700

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 02:29:55 -0500
Pris Matic <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way I can prevent gpsd from acting on hotplug events in
> the first place,

Yes.

You didn't indicate version or OS, so I will guess here. In your
hotplug scripts directory (/lib/udev on Ubuntu), you should find one or
more scripts with "gpsd" in the file names. Remove them or move them
aside.

> and then ask gpsd to test given device addresses one by one (ie,
> /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, and so on) through my application?

Not directly. But a bit of scripting using gpsdctl (assuming a recent
version of gpsd, say since June, 2011) and gpsdlogger should give you
a way to do that. See the gpsd hotplug script(s) for ideas.

Recent versions with gpsdctl are much easier to work with. If you
aren't using a version with gpsdctl, consider upgrading to one.

I have no idea what your application does, so this is a guess. Perhaps
have your application test the devices, and have it launch gpsd on the
appropriate one.