gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Using gpsd vs gpsdecode

From: Tomalak Geret'kal
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Using gpsd vs gpsdecode
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:33:45 +0100

On 02/08/2012 13:37, Roy Barkas wrote:

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Tomalak Geret'kal <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/08/2012 06:14, Roy Barkas wrote:
I currently use gpsdecode for decoding GPS NMEA/AIS messages received.  I load a copy of gpsdecode into a ramdisk and run it as an exec from PHP capturing JSON output.

This works fine and I don't currently have any bandwidth issues, but it strikes me as clunky, potentially unreliable and uber-oldschool (this is how I might have done this kind of thing 30 years ago).

Can I use gpsd in more or less the same way - i.e. feed it gps or AIS sentences via a socket and receive json back?

Thanks
RB

What problems do you foresee with your current approach, other than that you can picture yourself having used it thirty years ago? Or is it just that?

Seems like the appropriate tool for the job to me. Just because something was the right way to do it X years ago (where X > Y) doesn't automatically mean it can no longer be so today.

If what I'm doing is a correct approach using the tools available then I'll stick with it.  I've just been concerned that I was applying ancient thinking to a modern problem.
Nice to know that the way I might have done something running RSX on a  PDP-11/70 still makes sense :-)

Having said all that, is it practical to send messages via a socket to gpsd and have it return decoded JSON?

Roy

Roy

Without being more familiar with precisely what you're doing, I couldn't say for certain. But alarm bells don't scream out at me here. It feels as if you're just searching for a problem.

Tom
PS. As on other mailing lists, please do not top-post, and please keep the list in CC!