gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Recommended GPS model for timekeeping?

From: Sidney Cadot
Subject: [gpsd-users] Recommended GPS model for timekeeping?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:52:06 +0200

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on which GPS receiver to buy for the
primary purpose of timekeeping using the GPSd/NTP combination on a few
Linux systems. I'm trying to achieve ~ 1ms synchronization between a
few systems, so good PPS support is a must.

I've looked at the hardware pages;

  - http://gpsd.berlios.de/hardware.html
  - http://www.catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html

First, I'd like to understand if is it true that the most up-to-date
GPSd documentation resides on the 'www.catb.org' adress rather than
the old Berlios server?

The Berlios page lists a great number of devices in a big table.
However, this table isn't available on the CATB server. (Is this
intentional?)

Anyway, looking at the recommendations I don't quite make out a clear "winner".

For my project, I'd love to have a receiver with the following properties:

- preferably, an RS-232 interface with PPS wired on any of the
interruptable signals;
- no soldering required (i.e., for rerouting the PPS)
- widely available, easy to buy
- not excessive in cost, which precludes top-shelf professional
equipment;  but I'm not necessarily looking for the absolutely lowest
possible cost. Anything up to about 100 Euros (about 130 USD) or even
a bit beyond that would be quite acceptable.

If any of you has recommendations for a good receiver with those
properties I would be thankful if you could share.

Also, if what I want cannot be done at that price point,
recommendations for alternatives would be most welcome.

Kind regards,

  Sidney