gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Feeding chrony from GPSD

From: Miroslav Lichvar
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Feeding chrony from GPSD
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:23:46 +0200

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 01:58:12PM +0300, Yakov Shmulevich wrote:
> After that I got the follow log message:
> "PPS can not connect chrony socket: /tmp/chrony.ttyUSB1.sock"
>
> and in the /tmp:
> address@hidden ~]# ls -al /tmp/chrony.ttyUSB1.sock
> srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Apr  3 13:25 /tmp/chrony.ttyUSB1.sock
>
> Then I checked the gpsd owner and got the follow:
> address@hidden ~]# ps aux | grep gpsd
> nobody   18921  0.4  0.0  33188  1468 ?        S<sl 13:32   0:02 gpsd -b -n
> /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> So, the gpsd change the owner from "root" to "nobody".
> I think that this is the root cause of the problem.
> Now, the question how to prevent from gpsd to change the owner?

Hm, gpsd is supposed to open the socket before it drops the root
privileges. I think there were some fixes related to root dropping
recently, maybe git will work better.

I think it could be also caused by SELinux if it's enabled on your
system. You might want to check the system log and audit log for AVC
messages.

--
Miroslav Lichvar