gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd startup using systemd on debian

From: Bryan Christianson
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd startup using systemd on debian
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:03:15 +1200

I run debian testing on my timekeeper machine. Earlier this week, debian
updated its startup mechanisms to use systemd. Not sure if this is good or bad
and don't really want a debate on its merits. It just "is".

After a reboot, I found my settings in /etc/default/gpsd were being ignored and
of course gpsd was not running with the flags I wanted.

I tried a dpkg-reconfigure to see if that would help - it didn't.

After a bit of googling I found out how to get it running as wanted. Pretty
simple process involving just 3 steps

1. Copy /lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service to /etc/systemd/system/

2. Edit the copy and append my specific flags, device etc to the existing
ExecStart record.

3. Reenable the gpsd service and restart it (systemctl reenable gpsd &&
systemctl restart gpsd)

It would be good if there was some mechanism in the gpsd distribution to have
automated this, but then I guess I wouldn't have had a learning experience

Regards
Bryan

--
Bryan Christianson