gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Trouble with my Garmin 18x LVC and PPS after migrating

From: Gary Eheman
Subject: [gpsd-users] Trouble with my Garmin 18x LVC and PPS after migrating
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 15:21:48 -0500

(This is a second attempt at posting this. My first attempt on Dec 25 does not
seem to have arrived successfully.)

I have a Garmin 18x LVC that has been running rock solid with gpsd and ntpd on an older (openSuSE 12.1) providing good pps. You kind folks helped me on the list during that install a few years ago. And now I am back.

I installed openSuSE 13.2 on the same computer here during the slow holiday period. I can boot it back and forth between the older 12.1 system and the new 13.2 system any time I wish. I copied the ntp.conf over from the 12.1 system to the 13.2, fixed the apparmor protection of the shared memory segments (via "aa-complain /usr/sbin/ntpd"), and proceeded to try and get gpsd and ntpd talking with the same setup on 13.2.

So far, I cannot get ntp to use the pps signal of the gps. I know the gps works. I have an LED on pin 1 of my DE9 that flashes every second. And if I boot the system back to opensuse 12.1 and its gpsd and ntpd, it uses the pps signal as its preferred source, and the clock is always within microseconds of other well known ntp sources.

# gpsd -V
gpsd: 3.10 (revision 3.10)
# ntpd --version=v
ntpd 4.2.6p5
ntpd address@hidden Fri Dec 19 19:15:02 UTC 2014 (1)

/etc/ntp.conf here:

http://pastebin.com/9hBq5tM4

ipcs -m and ps -ef info for "normal" startup of gpsd and ntpd, along with
what I am seeing with ntpq here:

http://pastebin.com/qFPi6ivA

As you can see, it appears that it is never reaching the SHM(1) segment for pps.
It is (and always has, even on opensuse 12.1) reported the SHM(0) .GPS. info as falseticker. But it likes the pps on opensuse 12.1.

Another thing I had to contend with is systemd being used on 13.2 compared to the old-style init.d scripts for gpsd and ntpd on opensuse 12.1. The gpsd package that comes with opensuse 13.2 does not come with a gpsd.service file for systemd, unlike what appears to be the case with other distributions. So I had to compose my own. They can be viewed here, though they do not appear to be involved in the basic problem at hand.

http://pastebin.com/hMbn2EB2

Lastly, because it was useful last time I was here receiving help, here is a debug level 7 startup of gpsd.

http://pastebin.com/qcStBQ4D

Of note, I see this message in the startup:
gpsd:PROG: PPS chrony socket /var/run/chrony.ttyS1.sock doesn't exist

I am not using chrony, and the invocation of gpsd includes
"-F /var/run/gpsd.sock"

Is chrony now a requirement as opposed to ntpd?
--
Gary Eheman
Fundamental Software, Inc.