gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] falsetick when only GPS is a source of time

From: Miroslav Lichvar
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] falsetick when only GPS is a source of time
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 15:29:43 +0200

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 03:32:47PM +0300, Askar Ibragimov wrote:
> Tried Chrony, but at first there were similar situation if I rely on GPS
> only: both PPS/GPS went falcetick if I keep only these two sources.

The sources are marked as falsetickers when their time doesn't
overlap. When you have two clocks showing different time, which one
will you trust?

One solution is to configure the message based source with the offset
and delay options. For a Garmin GPS I have:

refclock SHM 0 offset 0.5 delay 0.5 refid GPS

Another option is to simply not use the message based time source at
all. Use just the PPS source and it should work as expected.

The same suggestion applies to ntpd.

--
Miroslav Lichvar