gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] UBLOX M8T?

From: Askar Ibragimov
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] UBLOX M8T?
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:56:03 +0300

Hell Eric,

thanks for the information. Our university would not mind having extra receivers itself, but our buying power is limited, we are not a firm or something. :)

I decided to hold on to 6T device for now as it fulfills my task albeit not using GLONASS etc. Please let me know if you will add 8T-support, if possible. I have two systems and priority is to get one of them going now, but other might be using ublox-8 later.

Thanks for your hard work on the gpsd.

Cheers, Askar

Askar Ibragimov <address@hidden>:
> Hi Eric,
>
> could you please elaborate what is this bug and why it is important? Does
> that mean, that gpsd is not working at all with the receiver? Could you
> provide some link to bug description?
>
> I have at stake purchase of two units so I would like to have very good
> idea what I shall expect :)

There are two known problems, one of which I may have fixed in git.

1. Failure to process NMEA 4.1 GSVs, which have an extra signal-ID field
just before the checksun and thus looked malformed to earlier versions of
our NMEA 0183 driver.  That may be fixed.

2. Failure of gpsd to mode-swith the device to UBX binary on startup.  This
would be easy to fix if I could live-test an M8 device.  It matters a lot
for time service; we gave a recent reportthat the default NMEA mode reports
less accurate time.

To be dead sure of your device, buy three and ship me one.  I'm pretty
sure I could have well-harderened support up in three hours.