gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Using gpio-based kernelpps with gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Using gpio-based kernelpps with gpsd
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 22:59:27 -0700

Yo Robert!

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 02:45:53 +0000
Robert Calhoun <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there a way to tell gpsd directly what pps device to use in gpsd
> 3.15?

gpsd automagically configures the proper pps device on linux, usually.

If that fails, you can just put the pps device on the command line
like this:
        gpsd --n /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pps0

> But best as I can tell from how gpsmon calls it,
> pps_thread->devicename is always going to be a serial device
> like /dev/ttyS0, not a pps device, so we're never going to get a
> match on the code above.

I can't say how gpsmon does it in direct mode.  Actually not much
point to pps in gpsmon direcct mode anyway.

> I have added the path of my serial device to
> the .path property of the pps driver based on the RFC 2783 discussion
> but I don't think that gets read anywhere in the current code. Am I
> missing something or should I start modifying ppsthread.c?

It is a new, an thus not very well documented or understood feature,
but it should work fine for you, if you need it.  I know for a fact you
do NOT need this on the RasPi.  Look in the gpsd INSTALL file for RasPi
hints.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588