gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] raspbian gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open failed: Perm

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] raspbian gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open failed: Permission denied
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:58:42 -0700

Yo Sebastian!

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:03:09 +0100
"Sebastian E. Ovide" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm using a GPS dongle on a raspberryPI. (raspbian)

Cool.

> which is gpsd runs as "nobody" but /dev/ttyUSB0 as no read privileges
> for nobody !

You should be running gpsd as root, and letting gpsd do the dropping
of priveledges.  Otherwise, as you see, it breaks a lot of things.

> If I do chmod a+r  /dev/ttyUSB0 it would work but as soon as I reboot
> the device or I unplug and plug the GPS back again, udev would
> recreate the folder and therefore revert the permissions ?

Which is why you need to fix your udev rules to create /dev/ttyUSBx in
a way compatible with the over limited way you start gpsd.

> I could change the scripts but just wondering... is it a bug ?it
> should work out of the box without hacking system scripts...

Yes, a bug in your setup that your permeissions are not self consistent.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588