gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] possible week rollover problem

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] possible week rollover problem
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:37:26 -0600

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 13:44:04 -0400
Paul Fox <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) a few weeks ago i took a weekend trip, and the timestamps recorded
>     by my application for the entire trip were in 2035.  comparing
>     closely on my return, the delta from the true time was
>     approximately 19.6 years.  i didn't notice the problem until i
>     examined the trip logs days later, and by that time, the problem
>     was no longer occurring, so i have little other data to offer.
>     the laptop may or may not have been rebooted in between.  (fwiw,
>     my logging software accesses gpsd in nmea mode.)

I also have an ancient BU-353 usb dongle, SiRF III.

I think you are seeing the week counter rollover problem. We had a
discussion about this in February, 2011, subject "Week Number issue".
Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gps#Timekeeping_format

If your date is in the wrong indiction, my work-around is to kill gpsd
and, if necessary, re-launch it.

What we really need are spacecraft with much longer indictions, and
receivers capable of handling those correctly.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV