gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] shared memory and fix.track

From: Roger Oberholtzer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] shared memory and fix.track
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 06:52:22 +0000

From: Gary E. Miller address@hidden
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 8:44 PM
To: Roger Oberholtzer
Cc: address@hidden

> Have you verified that your GPS is outputting fix.track but gpsd is not
> passing it on?  Many GPS output fix.track at a lower rate than the PVT data.

gpsd is parsing NMEA data. The track is known to be in the RMC record, which is
at least reported each second. As I wrote, I see it in the RMC record myself
(which I am reading through the gpsd raw data socket). Is fix.track invalidated
after some period of time by gpsd? Like after less than 1 second? Or is it
invalidated by each read (which would seem an odd thing to do when there can be
multiple clients)?  If so, this is problematic because reading the shared
memory is not tied to when an NMEA record arrives. If it is not invalidating
it, then why does it fluctuate between NaN and a reasonable value?

> If that is the case then gpsd will massk (NaN) the outdated fix.track when a
> newer PVT comes in.

> YOu should check the setting in your PGS for fix.track output rate.

> My guess is that gpsd is giving any track.fix it gets, you just need to cache
> that value until you expire it or get a newer value.

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696