gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Python3 Interface to GPSD

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Python3 Interface to GPSD
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 08:07:07 -0400

Moe <address@hidden>:
> While it's rudimentarily functional, I'm looking for constructive feedback.

Having a separate Python 3 interface increases maintainance load and
overall complexity.  I would *strongly* prefer that the existing
Python code be modified to run polyglot - that is, auto-adapt to
running under either Python 2 or Python 3.

Techniques for this can be found here

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/practical-python-porting/

If you began writing a separate interface for Python 3 because you think
the Python 2 API is inadequate, we can negotiate about changing it.  The
userbase for the Python binding is small enough that I don't think an
API break would cause serious problems.

More generally, I'm looking for someone to polyglotize the Python
test framework and utilities. If you were to take that on I would greatly
appreciate it - I'd do it myself but ntpsec is taking up too much
of my time.