gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS issue with Jackson Labs Mini-PCIe GPS Module.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS issue with Jackson Labs Mini-PCIe GPS Module.
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 10:58:12 -0700

Yo Lyle!

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 19:19:26 +0000
Lyle Baker <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm attempting to bring up a Jackson Labs Mini-PCIe GPS card
> (http://www.jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/mini_pcie_gpsdo ) and
> I cannot get gpsd to recognize the 1PPS signal.

> gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.9)

gpsd version 3.9 is old and unsupported.

newer gpsd has much improved PPS debug logging.

> address@hidden:~# gpsd -nN -D 5 /dev/ttyUSB0

You say you have a mini-pcie GPS, but then you read the GPS using USB?

I see the spec says serial over USB, with PPS on DCD, but the time
quality will be about 1 milliSec, not the 10 nanaSec they claimm.

So this GPS sucks for timekeeping, hopefully good enough for you.

> gpsd:ERROR: PPS ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) failed: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for
> device

No ttyUSB supports TIOCMWAIT, but that is OK, because:

> gpsd:INFO: KPPS caps 1133
> gpsd:WARN: KPPS kernel PPS will be used

You do have KPPS for your ttyUSB, so if DCD is there you should see it.

> address@hidden:~# ntpq -pn

This is way premature.  You need to be able to see the PPS using
ntpshmmon first.

So, run gpsd, then run ntpshmmon and see what you get.

If ntpshmmon does not show PPS, then run debug this way to give us the
PPS related stuff, without the other cruft.:

# gpsd -nN -D 9 /dev/ttyUSB0 |& fgrep PPS

And in another window:

# ntpshmmon

RGDS
GARY