gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Flush unconsumed GPS reports in Python

From: Alex Railean
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Flush unconsumed GPS reports in Python
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:45:44 +0100

Hello,

I just wanted to follow-up and leave some traces for future archaeologists who
might stumble upon the same problem.

I have inherited a program from someone without any notes about its internal
structure and logic. The way the module was used gave me the impression that you
just call `next` whenever you need a fresh set of coordinates. That's not what
really happens though, and it is this misunderstanding of the model that made
the problem difficult to tackle.

The advice I got on this mailing list helped me understand the logic correctly.
What I ended up doing was creating a separate thread that continuously retrieves
the new readings and stores them in a data structure, while another part of the
program looks into that data structure whenever location information is
required.

Thanks for your help.