gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retryin

From: Charles Muggen
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:56:25 +0100

I have a GPS HAT from Adafruit connected to the Raspberry Pi running Raspbian
Jessie.
The plan is to get an accurate clock from the GPS and 1 PPS combination and
operate with no internet connection.

I have gpsd and chrony installed.
ntpd is disabled.

Upon bootup, my syslog is showing a bunch of errors.
What is causing these errors?

results from tail /var/log/syslog

Feb  5 23:20:47 raspberrypi gpsd[474]: gpsd:ERROR: device open failed:
Permission denied - retrying read-only
Feb  5 23:20:47 raspberrypi gpsd[474]: gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open
failed: Permission denied
Feb  5 23:20:47 raspberrypi gpsd[474]: gpsd:ERROR: /dev/pps0: device activation
failed.

if I stop and disable the gpsd socket as per Adafruit instructions, somehow it
recovers and tries to connect to chrony, but on the second start up it's
connecting to PPS1, not PPS0.
the Adafruit manual says to do the following:

sudo systemctl stop gpsd.socket
sudo systemctl disable gpsd.socket

the contents of /etc/default/gpsd are as follows:

# Default settings for the gpsd init script and the hotplug wrapper.
# Start the gpsd daemon automatically at boot time
START_DAEMON="true"
# Use USB hotplugging to add new USB devices automatically to the daemon
USBAUTO="false"
# Devices gpsd should collect to at boot time.
# They need to be read/writeable, either by user gpsd or the group dialout.
DEVICES=""
# Other options you want to pass to gpsd
GPSD_OPTIONS="-n /dev/ttyAMA0 /dev/pps0"

if copies of any other config files are needed, please advise.